Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ten Days to Tell 'Ya: Day Two

I harbor a deep loathing for cotton balls. I did not realize how deep that loathing was, until I found myself in a desperate make-up situation. Now, those closest to me find it ironic that I would invest in a blog of this nature, because I am not a froo-froo girl. Until my late 20's, I never used anything special on my face, and I have frequently thanked God for curly hair because goodness knows, I don't have the patience for a curling iron. I hate buying make-up because it has always seemed a ridiculous expense, and I really tried not to have to replace or refill anything more than once a year. Sad, I know.

Well, around my birthday, the situation became dire—dire enough that I asked for money to buy make-up for my birthday. I was really down to the bare minimum. In fact, what I was using were the Merle Norman samples that my grandmother had kindly passed on from a friend of hers who sold that product. In order to apply these samples, I had to dab the make-up out of the containers with cotton balls. It went on like clown paint and required much rubbing and blending. I suppose that's all fine and good if you have time for such things, but my morning beauty routine is frought with interruptions and small catastrophes, and I need to get in and out of the bathroom like Superman going through his phone booth. One morning I got interrupted, and ended up in the car with only one side of my face blended. Fortunately, as I was backing out of the driveway, I caught a preliminary glance of my Bozo-the-clown self in the rearview, and didn't actually make it out into public. Phew!

Consequently, I was excited to order AVON's Smooth Minerals Blush and Foundation, as well as their new Bronzer, which comes in compact form. The only thing that made me nervous upon ordering, was my own propensity to clumsiness. I was worried I would spill this powdery stuff all over, but I am pleased to report that because the containers are conveniently shaped to fit in the palm of your hand, I have used the make-up for a month now, and not dropped it once.

The make-up is applied with AVON's All Over Kabuki Face Brushes (available in short and long handles). These brushes are SO SOFT!!! Using them is like getting a little face message every morning. Good-bye cotton balls!

And here's what you're really wanting to know, right? Does it look good? Absolutely! I'd never used a powdered foundation before, but I quickly liked it just as well as liquid—especially for the hot summer months. The coverage I got was just as good as a liquid make-up. The bronzer is beautifully subtle at the temples, and the blush (I tried plum) is a great shade that goes on neat and needs only slight blending. I've even used the same color as an eyeshadown now, and have been pleased with its versatility! In the current catalog, you can get the Smooth Minerals Foundation for $7.99 (down from $12) and the blush for $5.99 (down from $10). No time like the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment